1. Smallholder Task Force:
- Facilitate discussions, provide necessary expertise and engagement to catalyse linkages in the context of smallholders.
- Discussion revolve around the access to finance and the formulation of national policy to protect essential economic interests
2. Jurisdictional Approach in Jambi:
- Enable efforts to create preferential sourcing areas by supporting progressive sub-national leaders through facilitating dialogues on provincial level.
- Support the Initiative for Sustainable Landscape through the Biocarbon Fund that links national emission reductions with the provincial level through strengthening policy and private sector engagement.
3. Jurisdictional Approach in Riau:
- Support subnational initiative under Indonesian government’s Low Carbon Development Initiative (LCDI).
- Aligning partnerships with national efforts to promote a low-carbon development path and a high-impact delivery model through efforts to reduce deforestation.
As a major global supplier of forest risk commodities, such as palm oil and paper & pulp, Southeast Asia is critical to demonstrating evidences of sustainable land use impact that combines forest protection and economic growth.
Increasing number of companies that produce or source agricultural or forest commodities in the region have committed to reduce deforestation from their supply chains and are moving towards implementation. In addition, Governments of Southeast Asian nations, local and provincial governments, NGOs, Indigenous Peoples organizations are focusing on how to reduce deforestation and forest fire in a manner that boost economic growth and people’s well-being.
The Southeast Asia Initiative aims to accelerate the above-mentioned transitions through:
- Bolstering international sustainable investment in Southeast Asia’s economies
- Supporting smallholder farmers and independent third-party suppliers
- Championing a new narrative for deforestation-free growth
- Support on peat restoration efforts in Indonesia
The Southeast Asia Initiative consist of a working group of multistakeholder regional and global partners, under the umbrella of TFA Southeast Asia.
South East Asia Regional Analyst
South East Asia Regional Coordinator
Other InitiativesFind out more about our other Initiatives
The Tropical Forest Alliance is a global public-private partnership in which partners take voluntary
actions, individually and in combination, to reduce tropical deforestation. Follow us below.