PRIVATE SECTOR ROLE
- Identify key production landscapes and look for opportunities to engage with multistakeholder initiatives.
- Implement interventions in collaboration with stakeholders on-the-ground and in line with available resources.
- Support monitoring and evaluation efforts to assess progress and recognize, incentivize, and/or reward sustainability progress at scale.
ROLE OF OTHER ACTORS
- Leverage private sector action by developing and strengthening multistakeholder initiatives in production landscapes connected to existing commodity supply chains.
- Strengthen the tools and methodologies companies need to monitor and evaluate progress at landscape scale.
- NGOs, donors, and governments track landscapes that could become major commodity-producers to avoid leakage.
Support coordination and alignment between existing jurisdictional initiatives.
Mobilize private sector engagement in key production landscapes.
Showcase progress to motivate and inspire others to get engaged.
Bring governments into conversations to facilitate recognition of the benefits of sustainability leadership.
- Jurisdictional approaches combat deforestation in a production landscape as they:
- enable companies to move beyond siloed supply chain approaches; and
- demand action from many other actors to improve governance, including – the government, local communities, and civil society organizations.
- Progress is being made in key commodity production landscapes to establish jurisdictional initiatives in collaboration with local governments, however, these initiatives are mostly nascent and need additional capacity to self-organize, leverage partnerships and finance, and achieve scale.
- Emerging examples of private sector engagement in landscapes is starting to demonstrate the potential for engagement.
- The community is making progress towards developing environmental monitoring frameworks and progress indicators at landscape scale.
The Tropical Forest Alliance is a global public-private partnership in which partners take voluntary
actions, individually and in combination, to reduce tropical deforestation. Follow us below.